The question of students’ healthy lifestyle formation by means of physical culture and sports has always been at the center of the leaders’ attention at the International Humanitarian University with its president S.V. Kivalov, national deputy of Ukraine at the head.
For 15 years at the International Humanitarian University qualitative material and technical conditions, educational, methodological and organizational support to develop a comprehensive system of physical education and sport have been created; construction, reconstruction and improvement of sports facilities, with modern equipment have been carried out to involve the student youth and all sections of Odesa population in sports and physical education classes.
Physical education and sports system development at the International Humanitarian University and the Economic and Law College was carried out by the teaching staff of the Physical Education Department, headed by the master of sports O.H. Caliberda.
Currently, the International Humanitarian University and the Economic and Law College have all the components of material, technical, personnel, scientific, educational, methodological, organizational and medical support of physical education and sports.
It is a modern, well-developed sports infrastructure according to international standards:
universal sports and health complex "University" in the seaside recreation and health zone in the V. Fontan 8-th station with summer and winter sports arenas, which include football fields, playgrounds for basketball, handball, volleyball and beach volleyball with parties and spectator stands, tennis courts, campus, locker rooms, faculty rooms and a medical aid post;
along with the educational building of the International Humanitarian University there is a complex of sports grounds for football, volleyball, handball with stands for spectators, locker rooms and a cabinet of teachers; in the educational building of the Economic and Legal College and beside it there are sports halls and a playground for sports games. Physical Education Department has qualified teachers with long-time experience in organizing physical education and sports, physical rehabilitation, medical and physical training, sports management.
The teaching staff of Physical Education Department provides practical and theoretical training in all specialties of the International Humanitarian University and the Economic and Legal College in such disciplines as "Physical Education" and "Physical Culture", "Theory and Methods of Physical Education", "Fundamentals of Rhythm and Choreography", "Physical Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine".
Informational computer technologies are used for teaching and methodological support in theoretical and practical classes.
Physical Education Department has created an electronic educational and methodological library with numerous publications of scientific and educational-methodological literature, video lessons on the following areas: "Theory and Methods of Physical Education", "Physical Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Physical Culture", "Sports Medicine", “General, Sports and Cosmetic Massage","Fundamentals of Rhythm and Choreography".
Information and video materials, photos of educational work, sports, recreation events and competitions are given in the mass media and on the Internet site of the International Humanitarian University.
Teachers of Physical Education Department annually take part and make reports at university, regional, national and international scientific and practical conferences.
Scientific articles and theses of reports in such areas of scientific research as physical education and sports, physical rehabilitation and sports medicine, computer information technologies in physical education and sports, sports pharmacology, sports management have been regularly published.
The International Humanitarian University has accumulated a significant positive experience in organizing mass student competitions, sports and entertainment events, holding national and international competitions, promoting sports, providing sports and health services.
Students' Universiades, city, regional, national and international competitions for many Olympic and non-Olympic sports are held on sports grounds.
Teachers of physical education, trainers, referees, members of sports federations, volunteer students take part in the organization and conduct of competitions. On the sports base of the International Humanitarian University there is "Chernomorets", a children's and youth sports school of the Olympic reserve on rhythmic gymnastics.
Due to combination of theoretical training with a practical approach in physical education and use of sports infrastructure opportunities at the International Humanitarian University, students have the opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills and competencies of sports managers.
For 15 years in the International Humanitarian University there have developed numerous sports traditions. Student teams of the International Humanitarian University and the Economic and Legal College take part in the National University “Odessa Academy of Law” sports club competitions, regional student Universiades of the III-IV-level accreditation universities and Odessa sports competitions of colleges’ sports clubs on basketball, volleyball, futsal and football, shooting, boxing, judo, free fight and sambo, Karate, swimming, tennis and table tennis, chess.
Foreign students of the International Humanitarian University are also involved in training sessions and student competitions.
Students’ enrollment in sports sections and teams is carried out according to their choice and interests, state of health and fitness.
Training sessions in sports groups and sections, participation in competitions promote physical development and such important physical and psychological qualities of students’ education as attention, operative thinking, courage and determination, physical efficiency, endurance in extreme situations, self-confidence.
Students and graduates of the International Humanitarian University faculties and all institutes became the winners and prize-winners of regional student Universiades, Odessa region and Ukraine championships, including:
- students of The National and International Law Institute – S. Bulgarov, M. Bogdiev, I. Bondaruk, E. Rylov, (powerlifting), P. Chikalov, A. Grabchev (shooting), O. Babenko, G. Nasulchik, N. Harutyunyan, D. Reznikov-Bratov (judo), A. Geluta, O. Nakonechnyj, V. Kravchenko, A. Galitsky, S. Kissa, D. Yaschuk (football), O. Chernomorets, K. Parkhomenko, Y. Shlyakhtitska,K. Karaulan, M. Mantuch (volleyball), O. Kuznetsov, V. Karatash (basketball), K. Chelyushkina (swimming), M. Amirkhanov (free fight), Y. Rachkova, A. Vitos (karate), A. Poladov, O. Zheleznyak (boxing); Vadim and Vlad Kopytkov (chess) with its director, associate professor K.V. Gromovenko at the head;
- students of the Economics and Management Faculty - M. Yanvariev, K. Nefedov, I. Galyant, V. Guzhakovsky, O. Tsigankov, O. Feshchenko, V. Arkhipov, A. Shvedov (football), Y. Oleksenko, Y. Kolesnikova, I. Notevska, N. Voloshchuk, Y. Tolstushko, G. Shchupko, Y. Zagayko (swimming), M. Strutsinskaya (volleyball), D. Nikulnikov, S. Datskevich, E. Voronyuk, C. Petlya (basketball), V. Voiku (free fight);
- students of Computer Science and Innovative Technologies Faculty - Y. Doshchuk, D. Gres, I. Makarchuk, V. Pylypenko (basketball), M. Makuha (swimming), K. Kashkin, O. Vorokhov (football);
-students of Linguistics and Translation Faculty - A. Belomestnova, O. Urvantseva, M. Balaban, G. Sirko (volleyball), A. Dashkovsky (grappling);
- students of Odessa Medical Institute – A.Steblovskaya (karate), K.Pisnjachevskaya (volleyball), D.Klyuchka, D.Grabovsky, V. Pavlyshyn, N.Tanasienko (football), Shah Zakhor - prizewinner of the regional University of Sports Sambo and the championship of the Odessa region from the combat sambo;
- students of the Arts and Design Faculty– Eleanora Dubinetskza (horseracing), Danyil Voropayev (figure skating). Among the students and graduates of the International Humanitarian University and the Economic and Legal College there are sports candidates, sports masters, international class sports masters of Ukraine, winners, prize-winners and participants in the All-Ukrainian and World Student Universiades, the Championships and Cups of Ukraine, Europe and the World, the First European Games, the finalist of the Olympic Games. Todorova Anastasia is a graduate of The National and International Law Institute, an international class sports master of Ukraine on canoeing, multiple winner and prize winner of All-Ukrainian Universiades, championships and Cups of Ukraine, World Cups, European Championship and First European Games winner, two-time finalist of the Olympic Games (2016); Varlamova Juliana is a graduate of The National and International Law Institute, a sports master in shooting, two-time prize winner of All-Ukrainian Universiade and Ukrainian Championships; Zakariev Magomed is a student of the Economics and Management Faculty, a sports master in free fight, two-time winner of the Ukrainian Championship, winner of the Regional Universiade; Zakariev Shamil is a student of the Economics and Management Faculty, a sports master in free fight, winner of the Regional Universiade; Voropayev Daniil is a student of the Arts and Design Faculty, sports master in figure skating, winner of Ukrainian Cup; Stelbovskaya Anastasia is an Odessa Medical Institute student of the International Humanitarian University, champion of Ukraine in Karate, winner of the Odessa region championship; Rosenzvit Vladislav is a graduate of the National and International Law Institute, winner of regional student basketball competitions, bronze medal winner of the Ukrainian basketball championship, Odesa Region Cup winner in the team of BC “Odessa”; Anastasia Mirzina is a student of the Linguistics and Translation Faculty, international class sports master of Ukraine on trampolines, champion of Europe in team competitions, silver and bronze medalist of Ukrainian Cup; Berkay Offlaz is a student of the Linguistics and Translation Faculty, sports master of the Turkish Republic in track and field athletics, multiple winner and prize-winner of regional student Universiade; Pavlovskaya Victoria is a student of the Economic and Legal College, sports master in shooting.
Students-athletes of the International Humanitarian University (IHU) successfully combine education with their professional sporting activities. For high sports achievements, the leading students-athletes and graduates of the International Humanitarian University receive scholarships from the Odessa Regional State Administration and the Odessa City Council.